Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 18 March 2012

Info Post
21 Jump Street has to be the most over sold movie of the young year, with Prometheus waiting in the wings to usurp its title come June. That's not to say it isn't without the occasional laugh. It just isn't anywhere near the gut buster I came to expect from the fawning accolades it's been showered with. To be honest, most of the solid bits were in the trailer and every story beat is as predictable as it could possibly be. Hill and Tatum were extremely likable though and had wonderful chemistry. I had a problem with how unearned and lazy any attempt to create subplots was though. Characters would crop up and have a promising beginning, only to disappear until a rushed call back at the end. Maybe I just don't appreciate the D-bag brand of larfs being dispensed here. It's definitely related to the Todd Phillips he-man-woman-hater-kegstand-dickhead-fratboy-template of comedy. I'm more into the Tim and Eric, Will Ferrel, Sacha Baron Cohen absurdist provacateur approach.

I also could have done without the customarily awful Rob Riggle performance. That guy sucks the life out of every scene he's ever been a part of with his breathless mugging and attention staved histrionics. Ice Cube does some nice, albeit obvious work and there is a genuine movie star cameo that was far and away my favorite part of the film and likely the only thing I'll remember about it in a months time. It was a perfectly forgettable 5$ matinee for me and the wife, even though neither of us laughed or liked it all that much. I guess I'm a bit out of touch with the hip kids who apparently had tears streaming down their face while doubled over in the grips of some cathartic, orgasmic fit of squealing laughter.

In other news, this is the last month to vote for the Rondo awards! I would be extraordinarily appreciative if you cast a vote for Shloggs Horror Blog for Best Blog of 2011 (category #18) and Profondo Cinema for Best Horror Multimedia Audio or Podcast (category #23). I've been getting a ton of excellent feedback and kind words from folks about my writing and occasional appearances on the Profondo Cinema podcast. Please take some time to check out PC, they're my favorite podcast going and it's been such a pleasure to get to know them and be a part of the show in my small way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment