Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 13 February 2012

Info Post
The internet is both the most dispiriting and the most invigorating invention of all time. I don't need to lecture here about the relative merits and demerits of this most pervasive of all technologies. The point is, as a passionate film fan who frequents movie nerd sites, the fires of my enthusiasm are in a constant state of being fanned one moment and doused the next. I choose to focus primarily on the positives and have sought out and follow the work of a great many online scribes I perceive as like minded in their upbeat appraisal of the state of cinema. Nothing exhausts and irritates me more than the baleful trolls that populate message boards and comments sections spewing preemptive hate and Monday morning quarterbacking every plot point in every movie. That's why the only thing more magical than FILMCRITHULK's recent Why You Love Movies article, is the outpouring of support and similar exhortations that have cropped up in its inspirational wake.

I have been moved to draft my own mission statement on the magic of the movies, but I want to put a personal spin on it. People have been making great lists that span the history of the medium. One of my most favorite things about Cinema and our relationship with it is how it affords us the opportunity to champion pictures others choose to ignore or revile. Movies that we find joy in and are flabbergasted that get run down so relentlessly by the bulk of cinephiles. So, my contribution to this ongoing discussion will be a list focusing exclusively on the reasons why I love one such film in Particular. The Chronicles of Riddick.

Because you keep what you kill.

Because of the bicep vein, latex scar and vocal delivery on Nick Chinlund.

Because Vin Diesel and David Twohy clearly love the Riddick character and genuinely seem to have been compelled to craft this sequel more out of a desire to expand his universe than to expand their pocketbooks.

Because of Karl Urban's breathtaking mullet.

Because of how glorious Diesel's voice is to listen to, no matter how ridiculous the one liners. Scratch that, BECAUSE of the ridiculous one liners.

Because Keith David is always reason enough to love a film.

Because of how fully realized the Necromonger world is. From the clothes to the headdresses to the armor to the weapons to the ships to the turns of phrase and religious mythology, I love everything about it wholly and unreservedly.

Because of Lord Marshall's throne room. They built that shit and it still drops my jaw each and every time I watch it.

Because the entire Crematoria prison planet section reminds me of using my imagination while playing on a playground as a child.

Because of that teacup.

Because it's an animal thing.

Because of that sweet, snow encrusted beard Riddick rocks in the opening.

Because of that awesome thing Colm Feore as Lord Marshall the holy half dead does with his hands while savoring the moment before he thinks he's going to finally dispose of the last Furian.

Because Dame Judi Dench floats around as she phones it in.

Because of Thandie Newton's outrageously melodramatic, yet totally appropriate eyebrow acting. It gives a whole new meaning to arch.

Because of the sound when Riddick breaks the knife off in Lord Marshall's dome.

Because of those radical, greasy Eastern Bloc dudes running the prison.

Because of the smoke rising off Riddick after he saves Kera.

Because I hoped and prayed that a third entry would get greenlit despite Chronicle's box office failure. Now, thanks to Vin Diesel's perseverance, dedication to his fanbase and success with Fast Five, it is currently being shot. I get happy and smile inside every time I remember I am going to be watching a new Riddick film on the big screen before too long.

Because when that moment comes, it will truly be a day of days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment